Darkness to Light:
- One in 10 children in the U.S. will be sexually abused before the age of 18. The 5 Steps to Protecting Children™ form a framework for preventing child sexual abuse. The 5 Steps can help you become aware of the scope of the issue, take actionable steps towards both preventing and responding to abuse, and create safer environments for the children in your life. They act as a guide for developing protective behaviors against abuse.
- Check out this Honest Conversation about the unique cultural considerations that drive Hispanic parents and caregivers to make prevention-based decisions.
- 8 Questions for Safer Summer Sleepovers
Family Online Safety Institute:
Need help talking with your kids about online safety? Want to know about parental controls? Looking for a simple set of rules to use with your children? FOSI’s Good Digital Parenting provides you with videos, tip sheets, resources, blogs, and more.
Articles | Screen Time:
Articles | Social Media:
Family Resources including:
- Parent Checklist: Summer Program Safety
- Parent Guide: Bullying
- Electronic Device Agreement
- Internet Safety Tips
- 16+ Apps Parents & Families Need to Know
At least 1 in 6 men have been sexually abused or assaulted whether in childhood or as adults. And this is probably a low estimate, since it doesn’t include non-contact experiences, which can also have lasting negative effects. If you’ve had such an experience, or think you might have, you are not alone.
The Mama Bear Effect:
The Best Defense is a Purposeful Defense: Minimizing Opportunities
- Schools & School Buildings
- Youth Serving Organizations
It’s not always obvious when someone you care about has been affected by sexual violence. In separate articles you can learn the warning signs for children, teens, and college-age adults that can help teach you steps to take when something has happened to you, a family member or friend.
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC):
NetSmartz is NCMEC's online safety education program. It provides age-appropriate videos and activities to help teach children be safer online with the goal of helping children to become more aware of potential online risks and empowering them to help prevent victimization by making safer choices on- and offline.
KidsSmartz is NCMEC’s a platform to share personal safety tips for parents, educators & kids.
**BraveBe Child Advocacy Center takes pride in providing helpful, research-based resources to our families and community. For inquiries about adding to our resource page, please contact Abby Worster**